You Are Reading

Tuesday 6 May 2014

Skin Cancer - Initial research


Brief synopsis: Cancer research UK is particularly concerned by the current high-level use of sunbeds for cosmetic purposes, especially by young people. The task at hand is to create a thought provoking campaign that will be focused around the use of sunbeds and the desire to acquire a tan for fashion or cosmetic purposes.

The reason I chose to undertake this brief is because I was diagnosed with Melanoma cancer less than a year ago, during one of the busiest times of my life, I was faced with the worst type of skin cancer. What makes this so ironic, is that a tan fades and scars don’t. I felt inspired to  reach out and let people know the devastating effects of aquiring a tan. Especially the younger generation who are becoming more comfortable to risk their lives as a result of popular culture and what's depicted as attractive.

The amount of primary research I was able to collect during this brief was collosal, I had folders full of numbers and contacts that were able to supply information on every aspect of Skin Cancer, most
importantly I was able to include my first-hand experience of the diagnosis. One of the most important factors for me, was my TMG. The campaign ‘Dying for a Tan’ is aimed at young people, specifically 18-30 year olds, this is because rates of malignant melanoma in the UK are rising rapidly.

Primary


Secondary

As a result of my Primary research, I didn't really need to do so much secondary research, this is because I knew what I wanted to communicate and I knew how to say it, through personal experience. 









Although the effects of cancer are visible cosmetically through scars, people often fail to understand the mental and inner struggle people face because of Cancer. In light of this, I began my research into letterforms (inspired by the success of Mcmillans type). I wanted to create a bold and striking aesthetic. The bottom-right image displays my initial attempts at creating a personal type.





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.